Tuesday 25 October 2011

purpose of cooking!

This week we looked at the need for the chosen activity within our life!

When this question was first asked, I sat and asked myself, what is the “need for cooking” within my life and the things that cam to mind were:

    -       Survival:  Without cooking and basic knowledge of food and preparation of food I would be unable to survive and function which would then ultimately lead to death over time.  Baines (2006) states that Humans need fuel to live, it provides energy the body needs to grow, stay warm and think.

-       Role fulfilment- This is not a relevant issue in my life thus far, however it is likely to be in the future when I have a family. As many people are aware it is the role of the parent to provide and produce cooked meals for their children in order for them to develop and live a healthy life style. Without knowledge of cooking and food we would be unable to fulfil this role.


These were my thoughts behind the "need" of my chosen occupation however as we all know by now there is always more knowledge revealed in class through group discussions and the knowledge of others.



I am going to put this into the context of last night’s meal that I cooked. I started to prepare my meal around 5.30pm this was done as I was hungry and I knew my flat mates were due to arrive home. This archives both of my initial thoughts regarding the purpose and need of cooking within my life. There was the basic need for survival in the fact that thosw whom I was preparing the meal for as well as myself were hungry and had come home from a hard day of study and we need to gain energy from good quality food. Looking at this example I also managed to fulfil my role as provider and flat mate carry out my duties and expectations that were held by my other flatmates.  


Along with this, cooking also has a need to fulfil my own personal feelings. This is meant in the terms that throughout my childhood I grew up having my meals prepared for me by my mum and it was not till I left home that I was able to cook for myself. Cooking leads to the feeling of independence and I also enjoy the feeling that I can learn more from cooking meals for others and cooking international and unfamiliar meals as they provide challenging occupations within my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment